Salad gets a bad rep, but we’re about to change that.
Salad is often associated with the annoying vegan or bulimic supermodel. Or it is simply thought of as the tasteless healthy thing you eat before dinner when visiting the in-laws. Most men (especially guys like myself from the Midwest) wouldn’t be caught ordering only a salad. The truth is, salads can be pretty bad-ass!
If you eat green salads regularly, your blood will have higher levels of a host of powerful antioxidants (vitamin C and E, lycopene, folic acid, and alpha- and beta-carotene) especially if your salad includes raw vegetables.
Think salads are boring? Think again! This recipe is loaded with nourishing ingredients to help boost your energy levels, promote clear skin, and keep your immune system strong. It’s packed with antioxidants, protein, and healthy fats which makes it a well-rounded salad that your body will crave.
This low-calorie super food is packed with essential nutrients responsible for the healthy functioning of your body. Spinach is high in vitamin C, which plays a vital role in the synthesis of collagen that your body needs to maintain healthy hair and skin. In addition, consuming this leafy green comes with the following health benefits:
- Contains an antioxidant that lowers blood sugar levels.
- Helps protect your body from cancer as its chlorophyll content blocks the carcinogenic effects of chemicals that are produced when you cook foods at high temperatures.
- Its potassium content lowers blood pressure.
- Is a source of a vitamin K, which contributes to bone health.
- High in fibre and promotes healthy digestion.
- A rich source of beta-carotene, spinach helps lower the risk of developing asthma.
- Spinach is good source of magnesium, which boosts your metabolism and supports your immune system.
No fat is better than healthy fat. Avocados are a great example of this. Not only is this creamy fruit able to satisfy your palate, it also provides you with an array of health benefits:
- Helps balance your cholesterol levels
- Contains beta-carotene, the same antioxidant found in carrots that is responsible for helping you maintain healthy vision
- Another good source of vitamin K
- Contains folate, which helps keep your brain healthy and lowers the risk of depression
- Good for digestive health and maintaining regular bowel movements
If you’re looking to shed a few pounds, start chowing down on a handful of pecans. They are loaded with fatty acids that help control your weight. Pecans also contain antioxidants that protect your body by destroying harmful free radicals and warding off diseases, cancer and infections.
Pomegranates are an amazing fruit that are both delicious and healthy. Health benefits of pomegranates include:
- They have antioxidant, antiviral and anti-tumour properties (their antioxidant content is triple that of wine or green tea)
- Aids in maintaining healthy blood circulation
- Cures stomach disorders
- Treats diabetes and cancer
- Soothes sore throats
- Clears skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Its antiviral and antibacterial properties reduces plaque and helps you maintain good oral health
Pomegranates can be consumed in a variety of ways, such as drinking it in juice form, using it to make molasses or eating its seeds.
Cancer-Fighting Salad Recipe
The following salad recipe contains each of the above ingredients and will allow you to reap all of the health benefits that were mentioned plus more!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups organic spinach leaves
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into pieces
- 1/3 cup organic cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup organic blackberries
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil*
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add all of the salad ingredients.
- In a mason jar, add all of the dressing ingredients.
- Shake the jar well until all of the ingredients have been combined.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad.
- Toss the salad so all of the ingredients are coated with the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!