Wondering who is applicable for bariatric surgery and then are you one of them? Then read on for this post is just for you.
What is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a general term for weight reduction surgeries used to treat morbid obesity. If you are morbidly obese, we use the term “super obese”. There are many types of bariatric surgeries that can be performed: gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, duodenal switch, and more.
Who is a candidate for bariatric surgery?
The following are the qualifications for weight loss surgery that you will have to meet:
- If you have a body mass index of 40 or greater, then you are an ideal candidate for bariatric surgery.
2.should not be consuming alcohol excessively, tobacco products or illicit drugs.
- You should be committed and prepared for lifestyle changes. Bariatric surgery alone will not fix the obesity issue. If you are getting bariatric surgery, then it is implied that you are willing to adjust your diet (low fat) and exercise regimen (exercise 3x a week).
- If you smoke or have smoked prior to getting the surgery, then you will need to quit smoking. Even after the surgery, you are encouraged to stop smoking.
- If you have had multiple failed attempts at losing weight through diet and exercise or other surgeries then it is more likely that bariatric surgery will be successful for you. Bariatric surgeons want patients who are willing to live a healthier lifestyle and not just rely on the surgery. The simple fact that you are looking into bariatric surgeries means you want to get better so keep searching.
- Candidates have completed a “prep” program before surgery. There is an intense medical evaluation for any bariatric surgery candidate that consists of lab tests, mental health checkup and physical exam to make sure you’re ready for the procedure.
- If you need bariatric surgery, be honest with your doctor about it. The more honest you are, the better chances you stand of getting help.
- Most importantly, if you have been diagnosed with type II diabetes, then bariatric surgery can save your life.
Benefits of bariatric surgery:
- Can reduce health risks associated with obesity including diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure
- Can lower the risk of depression and improve overall mood. Sixty percent of bariatric patients have reported less anxiety and improved mental health after losing weight via surgery.
- Surgery will greatly improve your sex life! Erectile dysfunction is an issue in almost half of men and around 40% of women are not satisfied with their sex life after gaining weight.
- Your daily self-esteem will improve dramatically! The self-confidence that comes from losing weight can have a profound effect on your personal relationships, work, and social life.
- Surgery will lower the risk of death! If you are severely overweight and considering bariatric surgery, it is essential that you know how much life expectancy is being increased. Losing weight via bariatric surgery results in an average life extension of about 14 years.
- 70% of patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery see an improvement is their high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or other obesity-related health conditions within 3 years of having weight loss surgery.
Hope this article could answer the question: “Do I Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?” Bariatric surgery can be a life-changing procedure and the best way to get started is by talking to your primary care physician. Losing weight is possible, but it’s not easy. Most people who undergo bariatric surgery lose only about 10% of their excess weight in the first year after surgery. In order to keep losing more weight and keep it off, you need a support network, including your primary care doctor. Find your weight loss surgery in Mexico today to know if you meet their bariatric surgery requirements.